1/2 Cup chopped onion (1 medium)
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 Tbs. cooking oil
1 15-oz. can black beanes (rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed)
1 15-oz. can of pinto beans (rinsed, drained, and slightly mashed)
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 4-oz. can of dice green chili peppers, undrained
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1 8.5-oz. pkg. corn muffin mix
(1 egg and 1/3 cup milk for the corn muffin mix)
- In a medium skillet cook bell pepper, onion, and garlic in hot oil until tender
- Stir in black beans, pinto beans, tomato sauce, chili peppers, chili powder, and cumin. Heat through and spoon mixture into a greased 2 quart baking dish.
- Prepare corn muffin mix according to pkg. directions.
- Spoon corn bread mixture evenly over the top of the bean mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 400 for about 20 minutes or until golden brown (serve with salsa and sour cream if desired)
This is such a good recipe! Zack said it is one of his favorite dinners by far and it is quite healthy and low in fat.